Posted August 23, 2017 in Gender Reassignment Surgery
Some people were born one gender but feel like another individual on the inside. This condition is known as identity dysphoria. Someone who is suffering from identity dysphoria is affected both emotionally and physically. Often, these people can only achieve physical relief by changing their outer appearance. Gender reassignment surgery allows those with identity dysphoria to become the person they truly are. By undergoing one or a combination of plastic surgery procedures, patients can transform their bodies to reflect the person they are on the inside.
Female to Male (FTM) Sex Reassignment Surgery
When addressing female to male (FTM) sex reassignment surgery, the goal is to create more masculine features. This conversion can be achieved by removing inherently female traits such as breasts and feminine curves. Some of the more popular female to male transgender sex reassignment procedures include:
- Top surgery: The breast tissue, skin, and fat may be removed through a periareolar incision (around the outer edge of the areola) or a double incision (horizontal or U-shaped) with free nipple grafts. Any remaining skin is pulled to the center towards the areola. If necessary, the areola can be reduced.
- Pectoral implants: Pectoral implants are used to create more masculine chest contours. A small incision is made in the armpits to allow for the implants to be placed into the chest.
- Liposuction: Feminine curves are reduced in the thighs, hips, and abdomen via liposuction to provide a more masculine shape. Small incisions are made in the target area(s), and a small, hollow tube, known as a cannula, is used to remove unwanted fat.
Male to Female (MTF) Sex Reassignment Surgery
Male to female (MTF) sex reassignment surgery is accomplished by creating more feminine traits. Alterations are made to the body and face to produce feminine features. Some of the more popular male to female sex reassignment procedures include:
- Breast augmentation: Breasts are augmented using implants that consist of a silicone shell filled with either saline solution or cohesive silicone gel. Typically, an incision is made around the areola. The breast implants are placed above or below the pectoral muscle to create a more feminine chest.
- Brazilian Butt Lift: A fuller, more voluminous buttocks is created by removing excess fat from one area of the body and injecting it into the buttocks. Fat is harvested from the donor site, cleansed and purified, and then strategically injected into the buttocks to form feminine curves along the buttocks and hips.
- Feminizing rhinoplasty: To create a feminine profile, patients may desire a refined nasal tip, narrower nasal bone, or smaller nostrils. With feminizing rhinoplasty, the entire nasal profile is improved, resulting in a more feminine facial structure. In addition to rhinoplasty, other facial procedures, such as chin implant surgery or Adam’s apple reduction, may be performed to feminize the facial appearance completely.
If you are interested in gender reassignment surgery, Dr. Tim Alexander can provide you with a personalized treatment plan. Schedule your consultation today by calling (954) 589-0722 or by filling out our online contact form.